On My Way....


At LAX right now with an hour to kill before I board my flight, thinking about how I will be going for a swim here by the Kailua Pier.

Ran around all day yesterday picking up supplies -- fresh pair of Brooks running shoes, socks, tire tubes, a running singlet, a sweet Castelli cycling bib, new cycling gloves, some Fluid recovery drink, and a sweet new Rocket Science sleeveless wetsuit -- this is the company that just came out with a new FINA approved super fast swimming bodysuit -- apparently faster / more boutyant that the Speedo LZR -- causing quite a controversial stir in the competitive swimming world.  Check out this article in SwimNews.com for the beef.  Anyway, I now have the essentials to compete.  Will still need to pick some stuff up on the Island -- backup bike parts, tools, coolers, etc.  But I was able to get what I need, so very psyched to be dialed!

Packing was a bear.  Thank god I was able to rent an TRI-ALL-3 bike case on a tip from my buddy Brian Lasky.  This is the premium box, making the bike packing process far simpler than those crazy clamshell cases that require basically taking the entire bike apart.  Up till midnight packing, then up at 4:30 to get to the airport.  We loaded the 2 little sleepy girls in car, fit the bike box in (remarkably -- thank god for the Volvo SUV with 3 rows of seats) and my wife Julie dropped me off.  Hawaiin Airlines charged me $140 for my luggage!  $100 for the bike box and $20 for each of my 2 other bags.  What!?!?!  They told me that since I booke my flight after August they had to charge me for ALL checked bags.  Never heard of that one before.  But whatever -- I'm going to Hawaii, right?

I have a 2 hour layover in Oahu, then a connector to Kona.  It will likely be dark by the time I get all checked in, so no training today.  Plan to wake up and get out on the bike in the morning, head down to the pier and go for a swim.  Can't wait.


1 comments:

don said...

Good Luck! Thanks very much for sharing the adventure with us online.
Ps. I think that the airlines went easy on you. I paid 200 Euros to get all my gear back home from Ironman Switzerland last summer.