Latest from Kona



First off, check out this groovy commercial.  It features Miro Kregar, a Slovenian professional endurance athlete who is here getting ready for his fourth Ultraman.  This guy is a super stud -- 18 Ironmans (PB 8:52) and a slew of insane races, including the Slovenian 24 hour bike record - 676 km.

Anyway, I'm told this spot ran in Europe like crazy and won a bunch of awards -- its pretty funny.

This morning, I met up with Miro, as well as UM athletes Gary Wang (CA, USA) and Peter Mueller (SWITZERLAND) for a swim in Kailua Bay.  It was great to be out there and my stroke feels great in the buoyant salt water.  And my new Rocket Science sleeveless wetsuit is working well -- very buoyant, not hot, no leaks, and no rash.  I think I will be wearing this rather than my Sailfish speedsuit on race day.  Was great to just be out in the warm water, spotting all the exotic fishes and just enjoying the morning -- felt like freedom.

After the swim, had breakfast with Gary Wang at the famous Lava Java on Ali'i Drive.  Gary is a studly cyclist and runner getting ready for his 8th Ultraman!  If that's not impressive enough, Gary has also competed in alot of ultra running events, including 10 finishes of the famous Western States 100 mile run -- probably the most prestigious ultra-marathon event.  Could he be any more experienced?  Gary was a faunt of knowledge and patiently answered all my knuckeheaded newcomer questions with aplomb.  Learned alot and feeling more relaxed about everything.  Check out Gary's site RealEndurance.com for all things endurance & ultra.

This afternoon I stopped by BikeWorks Kona and chatted up the staff.  This place is dialed -- I should have left all my race nutrition at home, as I could have picked it all up here!  Tomorrow they are going to look at my bike fit (particularly my ongoing saddle issues) and help me get my ride race ready.  While browsing, I ran into Jason Lester -- attempting to be the first challenged athlete to complete Ultraman (see my post dated October 23, 2008).  I had spoken to Jason a few times on the phone over the last couple weeks, mostly about the documentary that is being shot about his journey.  Such a cool cat -- it was great to meet him in person finally.

Was on my feet way too much today, so now back in my hotel room resting and catching up on some lawyer work.  Plan on driving the entire course tomorrow.

0 comments: