Arrived in Kona!

Finally here in Kona.  Its been a long road.  Can't believe I actually made it.  Now all I have to do is get ready and race.

Ran into the Stanford Tennis Team in the Oahu airport during my layover (pouring rain and dark skies).  Chatted up one dude.  I seem to think I'm sort of still in their age range -- I forget I'm 20 years older than these kids.  He was cool, but probably wondering why this old man was talking to him.  He asked me if I swam for Skip Kenney.  Sure enough.  Can't believe Skip has been coaching the Stanford Men's Swimming Team 20 years after I graduated.  Feels like yesterday.

Arrived in a very overcast and raining Kona too; in fact, supposed to rain next couple days.  Can you believe that?  Not exactly what I had in mind, but then again, you can't control this island, that's for sure.  Just gotta surrender to it completely.

My bags arrived (good news) but my big TYR backpack had a big rip on it.  I opened it at baggage claim to discover my Fluid powder recovery drink was open, and the sugary crystals had poured out over everything in the bag.  Sort of a mini-disaster.  Luckily no clothes in this bag, but it was a huge mess.  And the thing is, I KNOW I screwed that lid on tight.  I have no doubt that TSA opened the bag (ripped it) and opened up all my jars of various nutrition, then failed to screw the Fluid jar properly.  I was furious, all ready to make a stink, then just took a breath and decided to forget it -- not worth it.  I'm here, aren't it.  Leave it alone and just enjoy the fact that you are finally in Kona, 7 months and countless miles after I first dreamed up embarking on this crazy journey.  The only real bummer is that Fluid is hard to find and I need it!  Doubt they sell it anywhere on the Island, so I am going to have to dispatch my crew member Chris Uettwiller (still in LA) to go pick more up for me -- only place I've seen it sold retail is at TriathlonLab in Redondo (awesome store by the way) -- not exactly convenient for Los Feliz Chris.  But the important thing is that bike arrived intact -- no damage.  Just put it back together and looking forward to a spin in the morning.

When I checked into the Outrigger Resort (OK, nothing fancy) -- get the feeling the island is pretty dead.  Tourism is at a close to all time low given the economic landscape and it would appear this hotel is pretty empty.  Anyway, wasn't going to train today, but was so ansty after sitting all day (despite only 3 1/2 hours of sleep last night), went out for a 60 minute run in the dusky drizzle.  Warm and very humid, I recon-ed the area, looking for the local grocery, etc.  Felt pretty good.  Now just getting settled and hitting the hay early, hoping to see the sun for at least a bit tomorrow.

Unpacking, couldn't resist a couple shots of my nutrition.  Sort of insane.  And even with all this astronaut food, I'm looking at it thinking I didn't bring enough -- I need more.




1 comments:

firepotter said...

Aloha Rich,

Welcome to Kona. People usually gather in the pier for a swim in the am. 7:30 to 8 ish and breakfast at Lava Java after. You are welcome to join us.

Gary