Almost There!


Only one more day before I leave for Hawaii and so many damn things I have to take care of before I take off.  Just trying not to get too overwhelmed, but I feel like my head is going to explode.

What is amazing is that I am so obsessed with the logisitics of pulling this crazy thing off that I haven't even had time to think about the actual race (maybe that's a good thing my wife says).  In truth, I will be relieved to just be standing in the water, lining up for the race.  Right now I'm running all over town getting things I need and taking care of countless details -- medical waivers, bike box, race wheel rental, confirming hotel and minivan rental reservations, making sure my crew has all the information they need, and on and on.  And the equipment never ends -- tools, bubble wrap for the bike case, extra tubes, CO2 cannisters, cleats, headlamp, reflective tape, blah blah blah.  Its seriously like moving a MASH unit.  It reminds me of when I produced and directed my short film -- sort of like producing a 3 day movie...And on top of that, tending to my growing law practice.  Its been a high-wire act, no doubt.

Not to mention that this race is proving a seriously expensive endeavor.  My current budget to cover upcoming costs is about $3,800 -- and that is barebones, cutting out alot of the frills I would like to have but realize its just not going to happen and I am going to have to just make due with what I have; that said, there is no end to the amount of cash you can sink into high end bicycle equipment.

Why can't I just find a good corporate sponsor or two to help me out with all of this? Believe me, I've tried.  As far as the nutrition companies, they are great for getting free or reduced rate product.  But purse-strings are tight.  And I'm not exactly a pro with the resume.  I guess they just can't justify the ROI.  I'm not asking to make a living, just to cover some of the costs so that getting to the event isn't harder than training for it....Is that too much to ask?  Maybe.  I dunno.  Its just all part of the challenge I suppose.

On that note, my very talented photographer and commercial director friend Stacie Turk approached me yesterday about coming out to Hawaii to produce one or more "spec" commercials revolving around my participation in the race.  She has the funding committed by a production house to do it if she can get a product sponsor to commit to use the piece if they like it -- sort of a zero risk scenario marketing opportunity for the right company.  And even though its ridiculously last minute, you would think that someone would be interested, so we'll see.  She has approached a number of the companies who produce the products I use -- Trek Bikes, Vega / Sequel Naturals, Newton Running, Hammer Nutrition, etc.  So far she has come up against some resistance (Newton passed, thank you very much), but she is a firecracker, so if anyone can pull it off, its Stacie.  And she is a genius with the camera -- I have no doubt that she could create an amazing and beautiful spot for the willing client.  So stay tuned for an update on that one.

Just sent out another e-mail trying to rally the troops to donate to Maximum Hope Foundation.  I hope it spurs another round of donations.  I had lunch with Jill & Kimberley from the foundation the other day and it was great to connect with them in person -- they have been a huge support to me, so I hope I can be worthy of their support and raise some more funds for them.  They gave me a big bag full of MHF T-shirts for my crew and to hand out at Ultraman, which is pretty cool.  If you haven't donated already, there is still time!  Click HERE to visit the foundation website and follow the links to donate online -- its easy, and remember, every dollar counts -- even a $5 donation will help a family in need buy milk.

Got out on my newly detailed bike today for a 2 hour spin and a couple Z3 hill repeats up Latigo.  Felt great.  My body is finally healing and the taper is coming together -- felt like I was flying up the hills no problem -- cool sensation and the beauty of taper.  None of that deep burn and fatigue I was feeling on Saturday.

Back to the logistics......Until tomorrow.


0 comments: